Skip to main content

Diabetic Macular Edema

 You will want to keep a lookout for symptoms of macular edema such as blurry or wavy vision near or in the center of your field of vision. Colors might also appear washed out or faded.


Diabetic macular edema is more likely to happen at a later stage as the diabetes worsens. Poor blood sugar control and high blood pressure can increase the risk of blindness for people with diabetic macular edema.

Treatment types for Diabetic Macular Edema


Treatment is largely based on the root cause of your macular edema. For example, diabetes or high blood pressure is first treated, then the damage in the retina is next treated.

Speak to an eye specialist for treatment options


Anti-VEGF injections


VEGF, short for vascular endothelial growth factor, is a protein that increases problems such as leaking blood vessels and swelling. Anti-VEGF drugs such as Avastin, Eylea, and Lucentis block this protein.


During the treatment session, numbing drops are first applied to the eye. A short thin needle is then used to inject medication into the fluid in the center of the eye.


Anti-inflammatory treatments


Corticosteroid treatments are anti-inflammatory drugs administered via eye drops, pills or injections of sustained corticosteroids into or around the eye.


For the implant option, it releases small doses of medicine slowly, so you won't need a series of shots. Your doctor places it in your eye with a special device. And it dissolves over time, so you don't need to have the implant taken out.


However, corticosteroids can increase your risk for cataracts and glaucoma, so it's important to get regular eye exams to check for signs of this problem.


Laser photocoagulation

There are two types, focal laser treatment and scatter laser treatment.


For focal lasers, leaks from abnormal blood vessels are treated with laser burns. This can stop or slow the leakage of blood and fluid in the eye.


Scatter laser treatment shrinks abnormal blood vessels. The areas aside from the macula are treated with scattered laser burns. Burns cause abnormal new blood vessels to shrink and scar.


Laser therapy can help prevent further loss of vision. These treatments are long term as you'll need several laser treatments to repair eye damage.


Your vision will be blurry for about a day after the procedure. Some loss of peripheral vision or night vision after the procedure is possible.


Vitrectomy


This procedure uses a tiny incision in your eye to remove blood from the middle of the eye and scar tissue that's tugging on the retina. It's done in a surgery center or hospital using local or general anesthesia. 


Go for regular eye check-ups


Some ways to prevent diabetic macular edema include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, exercising regularly (exercising your eyes as well), and eating lots of vegetables and fruit. You can take it a step further and visit your eye surgeon  or doctor at least once a year to stay on top of your eye health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5 Most Common Questions About Cataract Surgery

Notwithstanding whether your eye master has distinguished early cascade enhancement, or you're beginning to experience visual signs like foggy vision, poor shading vision, or a progressive change n your eyeglass cure, there are a grouping of treatment decisions for you to research.  In the event that you're at the outset times of cascade changes, you may very likely upgrade your vision essentially by using an enhancing point of convergence or growing the lighting as required. In any case, cascades can go to the core of the issue where the fundamental option is restorative method.  Since cascade enhancement rarely causes whole deal damage to the eye, medicinal methodology should simply be considered after visual reactions begin to make. While discussing the probability of restorative method with your pro, here are without a doubt the most fundamental request you should ask:  How is cascade therapeutic technique performed?  The most ge...

Macular Degeneration

   ​The stock report on the screen before me tangled. I went to the washroom. Is it ensured to say that I was nodding off beating wearisome? For what reason may I say I was feeling this foggy vision?  Am I encountering age-related  macular degeneration in Singapore ?" Eunice, have you paid heavenly cerebrum to the going with division about their buys for the progressing toward month?" the buyer's leader strolled around to my work an area and asked me." No, unpalatable, I'm feeling sort of unwell at this point.  I'm encountering some foggy vision today," I told my buyer chief." Take care, take MC on the off danger that you need to go see the eye related with limit," she reacted." No, it's OK, there's a surprising method to be done today," I vindicated it. I'll from an overall perspective rest starting late I think.  Dull vision can affect your ability at work When I got back that evening, I read several papers after supper....

Lasik Medical Procedure

I experienced my iLASIK medical procedure on August 30 this year. I can state my post-LASIK vision is far and away superior when  I contrasted with the vision that I had beforehand when I am wearing my displays/contact focal points. Certainly, going for my iLASIK medical procedure is extraordinary compared to other choices that I had made in my life.  *My Spectacles and Contact Lenses*  Previously  The motivation behind why I have chosen to go for LASIK is on the grounds that I want to go amid my relaxation time. I discover it a weight to bring my displays and day by day expendable contact focal points each time I voyaged.  As a general rule, I discover my eyes getting drier and drier in the wake of wearing my contact focal point amid the day. Times passes truly rapidly, when I evacuated my contact focal points at 10pm, I have for the most part had my contact focal points on for over 12 hours in multi day, particularly when I am working....